Sunday, September 14, 2014

Anna Nalick - Broken Doll & Odds & Ends

Somewhen around 2008 I had somehow given up hope that there would ever be a second album by Anna Nalick (see evidence here) whose debut  Wreck of the Day I absolutely love. So I missed the release of her second full length album Broken Doll & Odds & Ends. On her website you can read about her leaving SonyMusic in 2010 and she self-published her second record in 2011.
I've been listening to it since yesterday - already in love. The title track "Broken Doll" is a good opener. I want to share the lyrics and realized that a picture search for the phrase really comes up with disturbing images...
But here it is, the song and the lyrics.




Old discarded broken doll,
whatever are you smiling for?
They left you alone again,
dirty face and half naked
for whoever wants a place in your broken heart.
In your store bought dreams that all looked so good
when you were in your teens


Somebody pick you up, dust you off
bring you to life.
Pretty broken baby,
pick you up, dust you off, bring you to life


I was such a lovely doll
they broke me and they left me on the shelf
sorry for myself I'd accepted
I'd never be more than broken plastic
with a broken heart
In my store bought dreams that all looked so good
when I was in my teens.


Somebody pick me up, dust me off
bring me to life,
Pretty broken baby,
pick me up, dust me off, bring me to life.


Well how long must we wait for love?
When all we've made is a waste of life
how long, how long, must we wait for love...


I found him, he was on the mend,
more broken than I'd ever been
then I shot him by surprise in the hear and
even though we were both discarded dolls
with broken hearts and store bought dreams
that all looked so good when we were in our teens,


Well we picked us up, dusted off,
brought us to life,
pretty broken babies,
picked us up, dusted off, brought us to life.

I was such a lovely doll... 


No comments: