Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Moomins Cartoons


After several novels about the Moomins Tove Jansson was asked to turn the Moomins into Comic strips. It was 1954 and the Newspaper that published them was London's The Evening News. In 2006 the collected comic strips started to be published in several volumes (eight so far). I read the German edition of the first volume. It is simply a beautiful book, big format, linen bound, thick pages.
The comics are what they are, little funny stories of the Moomins and the characters are familiar with all their specials traits and lovable quirks. But I figured out that I like the original stories better, they are slower but deeper too. They let you stop and think what there is to learn from the Moomins' adventures, quotes that you keep in your head or at least want to remember. I didn't have that with the cartoons that much. Never the less I love this beautiful book and the stories.

No comments: